Saturday, February 2, 2013

My role as a communicator

Through the three questionnaires that we were asked to take this week, I have learned a few things about myself.  First, I test as a people oriented person, which I knew was the case but was still interesting to see that it turned out that way.  Secondly, I was a little disturbed to find out that my husband's assessment me of my verbal aggression was significant.  I never realized that my attitude or demeanor towards him could make him feel bad.  Obviously, that was never my intention. 

I have three big goals to work on over the course of the next few weeks.  My three goals are to take time to listen to all points being made regardless of my agreement.  Next, I will make notes on the conversation and others' viewpoints so that I can effectively reflect on what they were stating.  Lastly, I will work on my comfort level when speaking in public.  I have anxiety even though I know that I am knowledgeable about many different things.  I look forward to working on these goals over the next few weeks to see if I can change the effectiveness of my communication.

3 comments:

  1. ME TOO!!! My colleague rated me just as I rated myself, moderate. My husband rated me as significant by a difference of 11 points. This was very telling. I attribute this to my intense focus on effective communication in my professional life and a lack of attention once I get home. I let my walls down and I must change this. If I can make such and effort at work, I must make it an even higher priority at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christelle,

    Thank you for sharing. It is never easy to learn that someone else feels differently then you, or their perception is different than yours. But through this experience you can see how to adjust your communication to make it better.

    Good job,
    Cortnee :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post. I love the goals that you have set for yourself. This would be a great starting point for learning how to become better in your weak areas.

    ReplyDelete