Saturday, January 26, 2013

Cultural Diversity and Communication

Looking around my local community, interacting with my colleagues, and evaluating diversity within the aspects of this assignment has been beneficial.  I have always felt that I had a good understanding of culture, what it is, what it means, and how to best support it.  However, with this assignment I have come to realize that I do interact differently depending on the context of the interaction.

Since I am a Center Director, I must treat my staff differently from the parents that I serve.  I treat both of them differently than my supervisors and my family.  The differences aren't based necessarily on varying beliefs, but my culture has determined that each must be separated to be a professional.  Over the course of the last week, I have had a few personal challenges.  Last Saturday, I had to take my mother to the Emergency Room for trouble breathing.  They found multiple blood clots in both of her lungs, and she was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit for the week.  During that time I became a strict advocate for her care.  Being an only child growing up to a single parent has allowed me to become independent.  However, this week I felt helpless and challenged.

While in the hospital, I spoke to family members that live far away.  Over the years, we have not been extremely close, but we all came together during this trying time.  I understand that some of my peers have this relationship all of the time, but this was a big step in my family.  I have developed a greater understanding and respect for those individuals that have familial support.

2 comments:

  1. Christelle,

    Hi there. I am so sorry to hear about your mom and I pray she is doing well!! Thank you for sharing and I understand what you mean. Sometimes going through something helps us empathize with others, and vice-versa.

    Take care,
    Cortnee :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your kind words Cortnee!

    ReplyDelete