Saturday, February 9, 2013

Conflict Resolution

Being a Director of an early learning facility is not easy.  The many hours that you put in outside of the ones that you get paid for are tremendous.  In Pennsylvania, there is a quality initiative that encourages high quality programming, and high quality staff.  While my program has worked it's way up through the ranks, we recently attained the highest rating for quality.  However, one of the things that the program looks for is teacher longevity.  This year, we had a lot of turnover of staff.  Due to my personality, I typically look at it being my fault.  However, there were various reasons for this turnover.

Not all turnover is bad.  About six months ago, I walked in on a staff person talking negatively about me to other staff.  She was upset about my decision to move children around the center to accommodate staff breaks.  When I walked into the room, she was ranting and raving about me, and my decisions.  My first reactions were shock, then sadness, then anger.  I asked to speak with her privately, and invited my supervisor to sit in on the conversation.  The staff person refused to talk while my supervisor was there.  She said that she felt that my supervisor and I had "too close" of a relationship.  This staff person ended up walking out of her position that day.

I believe that some of the strategies that I would use would be to initially remain calm.  Not everyone is going to like me, and I them.  While some staff may not always agree with my decisions, I am ultimately the one that is responsible for the running of the program.  By remaining calm, it will enable me to listen to what they are saying.  Additionally, I believe that I will start repeating what they are saying back to them, to ensure that I have a clearer picture.  This will eliminate any misunderstandings and show the staff that I am actively listening.

Like I said, turnover isn't always bad.  At times, it can be very beneficial for the progress of the program.  Such was the case with this staff person.  I was able to find someone much more qualified, and receptive to my suggestions, and guidance.

4 comments:

  1. Christelle, I know you was shock to walked up on them talking about you and I know they was shock what you heard they said about you. I think she know that she was right about talking about you and she should have come to you about the problem about she started tell other people. So what are yall going to write on her termination paper sent she leave?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christelle,

    I cannot imagine running a business with women as employees. Unfortunately we love to vent to co-workers and it is not always a good thing. I am sorry to hear that this situation has happened, but I am sure it is a good learning experience for you. Hang in there. Keep doing what you know works and let the people go that are not appreciative of your leading style. You will always find someone better who wants to be there.

    Thank you for sharing,
    Cortnee :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christelle
    When you are in a position where you are the head person, you get caught up in making decision that is not always pleasing to everyone. Having that position is one of the things you have to look forward to as the director. I am quite sure you can handle what comes your way.

    ReplyDelete