What really surprised me this week was some of the posts made by peers regarding the LGBT community. I think that we as educators must look at all individuals and appreciate their differences. Some people believe that this is a choice for individuals to be gay or lesbian. I have friends that are homosexual/bi-sexual, and they knew from a very early age that they were different.
The most important thing as an early childhood educator is to allow children to make choices that are right for them. We know that a little boy playing with dolls, doesn't necessarily mean that he will become gay. Or that little girls that like to play with trucks will become lesbian. Our goal as leaders and educators is to allow children to explore their environment and be skilled in acceptance of all people despite our differences.
The most important thing as an early childhood educator is to allow children to make choices that are right for them. We know that a little boy playing with dolls, doesn't necessarily mean that he will become gay. Or that little girls that like to play with trucks will become lesbian. Our goal as leaders and educators is to allow children to explore their environment and be skilled in acceptance of all people despite our differences.
Christelle, yes you are right a lot of people wrote about LGBT and I was one of them who wrote about. Because people are difference and they know if they going to be gay and lesbian when they are growing up. You can tell it in some people as they grow up but I do not have anything to do with that.We cannot tell children what they want to be.
ReplyDeleteI to responded to the topic on LGBT. I am not one that is judgmental of people and there choices. Who are we to judge? As early childhood professionals we should teach children that they have freedom of choice and that we are here to guide them down the right path. We have a goal to help children accomplish and reach their highest potential.
ReplyDeleteI agree, it is not our place to judge. Thank you for your response.
DeleteHi Cristelle,
ReplyDeleteI personally think that people should be able to be who they want and be happy without being judged. If you are comfortable with yourself then why worry about the next person who is happy and not thinking about you.
Just and opinion though.
Shereva- I completely agree. It is difficult for some people to get around other's choices. I guess?
DeleteChristelle,
ReplyDeleteHave you ever had to talk a parent down that was upset at the thought of knowing their son was playing dress up with feminine objects? What insights did you offer in that particular situation?
I have addressed some of these concerns with parents before. I have told them that it is developmentally appropriate for their child to explore different options. It does not mean that they will become gay/lesbian. We talk about acceptance, and sex roles in our handbooks, too. In some cases I have even brought articles into the conversation from reknowned early childhood pioneers like T. Berry Brazelton.
Delete