During this week, I observed an incident of microaggression. While driving to Thanksgiving to spend the day with my in-laws, my husband stated that he was feeling unsuccessful because of his place of employment. My mother responded to him, "well, I used to feel that way all of the time, but I just put up with it". While my mother's intentions were not negative, I explained about our learning about microaggression. I explained to both of them, that while there was no malice in what she was saying, it still made my husband feel invalid. It made him feel that his concerns were of no consequence.
She apologized, which was not the reason I was telling her about it. I wanted both of them to understand that although we are all challenged, it is important to listen to another's perspective.
She apologized, which was not the reason I was telling her about it. I wanted both of them to understand that although we are all challenged, it is important to listen to another's perspective.
Christelle,
ReplyDeleteI think this is a great scenario. I feel like your husband is lucky to have a job, so tell him to look on the bright side the grass is not always greener on the other side. This means the job he has may be the one for him now and if he tries to go out and get a better job it may be all wrong for him, something is going to come he has to be patient.