Saturday, July 7, 2012

UNICEF



The organization that I have decided to learn more about was UNICEF (www.unicef.org).  UNICEF is part of the United Nations.  They have many focuses for the betterment of young children.  Some of these areas of focus are:
- Child Survival & development
- Basic education & gender equality
- Children and HIV/AIDS
- Child Protection
- Policy Advocacy & Partnerships

UNICEF maintains records of many topics.  The one that caught my eye was the chart for neonatal mortality throughout the world.  I have included the link here... (http://www.childinfo.org/mortality_ufmrcountrydata.php).  It amazes me that there are still so many children dying in the world on an annual basis.  These numbers are heart-wrenching.  In Africa, 50 % of the total deaths for children under the age of 5 occur in this area.  Whereas, all industrialized countries together make up only 1 %.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Christelle,
    What does UNICEF stand for? I'm not familiar with that website. I see that the organization focuses on helping children in many areas which is great! Is this a non-profit organization? The statistics you provided in your blog are very saddening to me. It's a shame that so many children are left dying due to diseases, poverty, and hunger. I wish there was more we could do to help these children! Have you, in anyway, ever contributed to helping children in other countries? If you could do one thing to help children in other countries that are suffering/dying, what one thing would you do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy- It stands for the United Nations Children's Fund formerly United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund. I think if I had an opportunity to help children suffering and dying in another country, I would provide them not only with medical attention, but education. Education would allow them the opportunity to develop their skills, and hopefully progress through life in a better way. Thank you for your questions.

      Reference:
      UNICEF. Retrieved from http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/UNICEF

      Delete
  2. UNICEF is an amazing organization! I just love what they are doing throughout the world.

    Good job,
    Cortnee :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two semesters ago I was doing a lot of research on the infant death rate in Africa. It was horrifying to read about how high it still is. You can read some of the information I found on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didnt realize this organization had so many areas. I was shocked to see that so many helpless children have lost their life. As Americans I must say that we are truly BLESSED.

    ReplyDelete