Saturday, July 28, 2012

Early Childhood Inequities

It remains a challenge to get any information from my international contacts.  I have not received any e-mails back for any of the people that I have contacted.  I have been following the World Forum Foundation podcasts, and have researched information on my own.  For this week's activity, I researched the Global Children's Initiative to find  information regarding their work on overcoming early childhood education inequities.

The Global Children's Initiative is through the Center on the Developing Child through Harvard University.  The goal of the Children's Initiative is to provide education for individuals around the world.  According to data from the website, the focus is on three aspects of early childhood education.  These include: "Reframe public discourse about early childhood development; support innovative research projects; and to build leadership in early childhood education" (Center on the Developing Child, n.d.)

I was unfamiliar with many of the resources that the Center on the Developing Child provides for the international community.  Work has been done to encourage others to believe in the importance of providing high quality experiences for young children.  This is extremely important in the foundational years of childhood.  Too many times, people feel that children don't begin learning until Kindergarten.  However, as early childhood professionals we know that children's learning begins at birth.  Many of the experiences that we provide for the children in our communities and schools are laying the foundation for the more academic skills in later childhood.  Without high quality early learning, many of the children in our communities would not be as successful.


References:

The Center on the Developing Child: Harvard University. (n.d.). Global Children's Initiative Fact Sheet.  Retrieved from http://developingchild.harvard.edu/index.php/activities/global_initiative/

2 comments:

  1. Christelle,
    Thanks for sharing the information that you found. I noticed that several classmates posted about this same website, so it must be a good resource. I am interested in finding out more about what they do and how I might get involved. It sounds like it may have some grassroots projects in the works or maybe coming up in the future. Please continue to post if you here of any new projects going into Africa to work with mothers and young children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many people for some reason dont believe that children begin learning while in the womb. However I do. Its the starting point. It is never too early to work with a child on education but it depends on how far you're trying to push them and their age when it becomes a problem.

    ReplyDelete