Saturday, August 4, 2012

Amazing UNICEF

UNICEF has not ceased to amaze me.  Over the course of the past few weeks, I have continued to research more information on this vital organization.  Each week, I have looked at a different area that UNICEF works.  This week, I have looked into the areas that deal directly with equity in early learning for children around the world.  So many times, Americans take for granted the easy access to education.  Our children are given opportunities that many other children could only dream.

UNICEF states that "Every child must be ensured the best start in life – their future, and indeed the future of their communities, nations and the whole world depends on it" (UNICEF, 2012, para 3).  While we know that early childhood education is important for all young children, many children don't live much past their fifth birthday in some countries (UNICEF, 2012). 

One paper that was recently released by UNICEF was called "Right in Principle and in Practice: A review of the social and economic returns to investing in children" (UNICEF, 2012).  While I had trouble accessing the whole document, the abstract states that a group of advocates state that investing in early childhood programming benefits all children.

I appreciate that UNICEF continues to stand for children around the world.  They utilize current statistical data when reviewing information.  This is pertinent when it comes to the welfare of young children.  While I believe that UNICEF is a phenomenal organization, I only wish that there wasn't a need for it.  It saddens me to know that there are thousands and millions of children that may not be able to see their futures because of health or economic status.

References:

UNICEF. (2012). Working Paper:Right in Principle and Practice: A review of the social and economic returns to investing in children.  Retrieved from http://www.unicef.org/socialpolicy/files/Investing_in_Children.pdf

UNICEF. (2012). Early Childhood: Introduction.  Retrieved from http://www.unicef.org/earlychildhood/index_3870.html

1 comment:

  1. Reading your post make me wish I had chosen this site. It seems like there is a lot to explore. This site and its professionals seem to strive hard for the children around the world to be the best they can. To make sure they are well taken care of. Thank you for sharing this post.

    ReplyDelete