What does culture mean to you? This was the question that I asked three different people.
- Culture is about your family. Diversity is the celebration of differences in others.- 36 yr. old middle class bi-racial male
- Culture is my community, and friends. Diversity is differences in a community, and knowledge of that difference.- 22 yr. old upper class Caucasian female
- Culture is everything about my history, my family, my community, and my future. When I was growing up, diversity was not accepted. It wasn't until the mid-1960s that people of different backgrounds were socially permitted to co-exist. - 69 yr. old middle class Caucasian female.
I look at these answers and think to myself about diversity and culture. I believe that each person made valid points in their definitions of both. However, I believe much of this is surface culture. According to Derman-Sparks and Edwards, "deep culture is language, migration, gender roles and connections" (2010). This is the way that we should interact with the children we serve.
I believe that listening to others' beliefs about diversity and culture proved to me that perople really don't understand the importance of these topics. I feel that there is still so much to leran. I appreciated the point that was made by the older generation, that we have begun to break the ice in celebrating diversity. We still have a long way to go.
References:
Derman-Sparks, L. & Edwards, J.O. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves.
Washington, DC: National Association for the Education of Young Children. (NAEYC).
I believe that listening to others' beliefs about diversity and culture proved to me that perople really don't understand the importance of these topics. I feel that there is still so much to leran. I appreciated the point that was made by the older generation, that we have begun to break the ice in celebrating diversity. We still have a long way to go.
References:
Derman-Sparks, L. & Edwards, J.O. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves.
Washington, DC: National Association for the Education of Young Children. (NAEYC).
No comments:
Post a Comment