Quotes regarding play
- “We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.”- George Bernard Shaw
- “It is paradoxical that many educators and parents still differentiate between a time for learning and a time for play without seeing the vital connection between them.”- Leo F. Buscaglia
Essential Play Items
 |
| IMAGINATION |
 |
| IMAGINATION |
 |
| ENDLESS MATERIALS |
 |
| LOVE, SUPPORT, FRIENDSHIP |
Role of Play throughout life
I was always allowed to play, and be creative throughout my childhood. My philosophy for the children that I work with as well as my own daughter is to allow every opportunity to use their imagination. Imagination includes the exploration of the environment, and how we work within that environment. Play has become much different in the years since I was a young child. The biggest difference that I have observed is the dependency on plastic toys, and multimedia toys. When I was younger we used our imagination to play grocery store, or school. Now, children have access to realistic foods, and items. Additionally, when I was younger children didn't have the availability to multimedia or electronic toys. In today's world children are emerging from their homes, without the ability to have appropriate social interactions. Too much time is spent in front of the television and/or the computer. When I was younger, we played outside until it got dark. I understand that times change and I respect that some of the changes over the years have benefited many people. I feel however that children are now incapable to hold positive social interactions with peers, and teachers. Sometimes, I wish we could go back 20 years, and just show today's children that we were completely happy using our imagination, and playing with our friends.
George Bernard Shaw had a great statement about play. As I look at the children in my neighborhood and how they play, I just shake my head. The kids today have no idea about where to begin play,they are more focus on playing video games verses getting outside and play. Technology plays a role in the lack of children play.Technology is a great access for us but it has taken play away from our children, not just the older children but the young ones as well.
ReplyDeleteI think its wonderful that you allow your daughter the chance to explore. I do the same with my son. I will let in take cans or pots and pans out of our cabinets and stack them, play drums, etc. My husband always says, "do you have to let him do that!? He's making a mess!" As you probably guessed my husband is a bit OCD about things being neat and clean. LOL.
ReplyDeleteI liked the quote by George Shaw. Thanks for sharing. This quote defines me. As long as i continue to play, I will never get old.
ReplyDelete