My childhood was pleasant as an only child to a divorcee. We were best friends and continue to be so to this day. Above is a picture of my mother, Jeanne holding my daughter on Mother's Day. We do everything together and speak on the phone at least 3-5 times per day. Since my parents separated when I was 1 1/2 years old, and divorced by the time I was three it was always just my mother and I. She raised me on a teacher's income, and we struggled. I never wanted for anything, she inspired my love of education and children.
The other important figure in my life as a young child was my paternal grandfather. My father was never really a big part of my childhood, however his father and I were very close. My grandfather died shortly after my 19th birthday. Although he had cancer throughout his body, he drove from Florida to attend my high school graduation. That was the type of man he was. My only regret, is that my husband and daughter will have never had the chance to meet him. My husband reminds me of him because of his compassion, and love.
I had close friends and family that were a strong web for me as well. In addition, I grew up with animals which always helped me get through my days.
The other important figure in my life as a young child was my paternal grandfather. My father was never really a big part of my childhood, however his father and I were very close. My grandfather died shortly after my 19th birthday. Although he had cancer throughout his body, he drove from Florida to attend my high school graduation. That was the type of man he was. My only regret, is that my husband and daughter will have never had the chance to meet him. My husband reminds me of him because of his compassion, and love.
I had close friends and family that were a strong web for me as well. In addition, I grew up with animals which always helped me get through my days.

Christelle,
ReplyDeleteI noticed that you commented on animals being part of your web as a child and currently, as well. Being an only child myself, I spent a lot of time with my dog as my constant companion. Now, the dog we have sits on my lap everyday when I am working at the computer. She may be the first dog to earn her Master's! They are a wonderful support system, I agree.
Suzanne- I completely agree with you. My pets are an important part of my life. My husband and I had a difficult time getting pregnant, so our Dalmatian, "Zeke" was our baby for 13 1/2 years. He was the most lovable dog. Unfortunately we had to put him to sleep in November 2010. Thanks for sharing!
DeleteChristelle, you left me hanging. Your mom and grandfather sound like beautiful people. Tell us more please. What is something that your mom taught you at an early age to contribute to your development? How did she inpire you to love children and education. You sound so interesting and satisfied with your life, why? Does it have to do with your upbringing? Your grandfather was an amazing man to travel to see you graduate. It was a wonderful gesture of his love toward you. I have a dog and a rabbit they are important to our family also. The animals teach my kids responsibilty, compassion and pleasure.
ReplyDeleteMy mother was a teacher, so it allowed for many summers traveling. We bonded so well during my childhood. My father on the other hand has been absent from many important things in my life. My mother was his second wife, and he is currently married to his seventh! At this point in my life, I've made every attempt to reconcile our relationship, he still has missed out on so much. I wish my husband and my daughter could have met my grandfather. He was a hard worker, and was never ashamed to show how much he loved.
DeleteI am satisfied with my life. It too has taken me a long time to get here. Like many others, I have had trials and tribulations that I must work through. I feel that things are finally falling into place, I am married and have a beautiful daughter. I am still extremely close with my mother, so life is great. In addition, I can't see my life without animals in it. Thanks for your comments!
Christelle,
ReplyDeleteOne thing I regret about my childhood was the lack of animals in my home. My mother is highly allergic and suffers from asthma. We never were allowed to own a hairy pet. Living in an urban area has also made it difficult to own pets. My building has a "No dogs allowed" policy. One of my future goals is to move to a house and buy my nine year old daughter a puppy. Thanks for sharing your wonderful story. I also had a single-mom as my primary parental figure and I am still very close with her.
It sounds like we have a lot in common. It's funny you should mention about your building not allowing dogs. My first apartment had a weight limit on dogs of 65 lbs. My Dalmatian was 75 lbs. I know that I paid through the nose for that apartment but couldn't have lived with out my dog. It's funny what things we will do for our children and our animals.
DeleteWe never had pets in our home. Men were also absent in my family structure. There also seems to be a shortage of men teachers too. Sometimes I wonder how my life would be different if there was a strong man in my life. I knew my father, however we did not have a relationship and he is currently deceased. I am considering buying a dog for my boys when they are a little older. Thanks for sharing about the people that supported you in your childhood.
ReplyDeleteIt's unfortunate that your parents separated but great that your mother was hardworking enough to inspire you to excel. Pets are awesome. Although they can never replace a parent or sibling, they can be very caring, comforting and loving.
ReplyDelete