Sunday, October 28, 2012

Building Research Competencies

Over the course of the last 8 weeks, I have built my skills in research.  My past research consisted of a lot of quantitative data that needed to be deciphered.  In this course I learned about qualitative, and quantitative design models.  In addition, I learned about triangulation, ethical challenges, and equity as it pertains to research standards. 

I now realize the time, and effort it takes to perform a thorough research study.  I believe that a research study that is done correctly may take months, or even years to perfect.  Eight weeks of learning has definitely increased my knowledge and skill set, however, there is so much more to learn.

I learned that there is much to think about when conducting a research project.  One can not just throw data together and have it make sense.  Additionally, I learned that one must be willing to accept guidance when writing about research.  I believe that my perceptions as an early childhood professional have been modified as a result of this course because I now know appropriate protocol.  This protocol consists of background research, cross-study research and peer studies.

I would also like to take this opportunity to say "Thank you", to those of you that have been following this blog.  The topic of premature infants holds near to my heart and I hope that you have enjoyed learning about research as much as I have.  

 

2 comments:

  1. Starting this course I knew was going to be a challenge. However I learned a few things. Some things were interesting while some took major requirements. You mentioned one have to accept guidance and I have to agree. Professor T. Davis have really given me great advice throughout the course and has taught me my strengths and weakness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, we learned alot of great and important information to do research, and that research is very time consuming if done right. I appreciate the help and feedback from you s a colleguae this quarter.

    ReplyDelete