Since I have been in the field of early childhood education for the past 15 years, I have gathered a vast amount of knowledge. However, my research project for this course will be the long-term effects of prematurity on the education of young children.
My daughter was born at 31 weeks 1 day. She weighed just 2 lbs. 12 oz. at birth. During the first year of life many people told me not to expect a lot out of her. They stated that she'd hit milestones later than most children. I was scared. I had been in the field for over 10 years, and I thought I knew everything about the development of young children. Much to my surprise, I didn't know as much as I had thought. So, I began researching everything I possibly could about raising a preemie. I wanted to gather as much information as possible to ensure she had the best start to life.
My daughter was not behind on her milestones. She was happy, healthy, and is now a fantastic 3 1/2 year old girl. She began to speak in sentences before her first birthday. She walked when she was "supposed" to, and learns very quickly. Without gloating over the intelligence of my child, I wanted to do research on how the effects of prematurity effect young children's education. Is a parent's involvement and encouragement enough to help a child succeed? Or is it innate that certain children are just better equipped to succeed regardless of their gestational age at birth? Below, I have included a few pictures of my daughter.
My daughter was born at 31 weeks 1 day. She weighed just 2 lbs. 12 oz. at birth. During the first year of life many people told me not to expect a lot out of her. They stated that she'd hit milestones later than most children. I was scared. I had been in the field for over 10 years, and I thought I knew everything about the development of young children. Much to my surprise, I didn't know as much as I had thought. So, I began researching everything I possibly could about raising a preemie. I wanted to gather as much information as possible to ensure she had the best start to life.
My daughter was not behind on her milestones. She was happy, healthy, and is now a fantastic 3 1/2 year old girl. She began to speak in sentences before her first birthday. She walked when she was "supposed" to, and learns very quickly. Without gloating over the intelligence of my child, I wanted to do research on how the effects of prematurity effect young children's education. Is a parent's involvement and encouragement enough to help a child succeed? Or is it innate that certain children are just better equipped to succeed regardless of their gestational age at birth? Below, I have included a few pictures of my daughter.
I ADORE this post! This blog has brought tears to my eyes reflecting back on my pregnancy. My daughter was a preemie as well. She was born 2lbs and 15ozs. I had her at 31 weeks and 5days. I was told a lot of negativity about my daughter as well. But she came out healthy breathing on her own and was released from the NICU a month later.
ReplyDeleteToday she is EXTRA HEALTHY...LOL...
But she's well advanced for her age of 2 and learns pretty quickly. I thought she would behind on things as well but she has proved me wrong since day 1.
Once again I LOVE THIS POST!!!
Andrea- I am so happy to hear that your daughter has continued to grow, and excel. Mine has as well, and I am blessed everyday that I have her. Your daughter sounds very similar to mine, she is determined to show those doctors and nurses wrong everyday.
DeleteI am inspired by both your and Andrea's story above! How wonderful to hear about what positive support can do and what can be achieved by the minds and bodies of baby humans!! Thank you both!
ReplyDeleteCristelle,
ReplyDeleteI am inspired by your post. I have a child in my classroom that was premature. He weighed only 1 pd and 12 ounces, but guess what he is more advance than some of the other children his age in m classroom. So I am glad you did not get discouraed,and you keep the faith. So keepme posted on the research you find out very interesting topic.