Friday, August 9, 2013

Roles/Jobs in the International Early Childhood Community


International organizations surrounding early childhood education are vitally important for young children around the world. I have researched the following organizations, and looked into the job opportunities that they have available at this time.

 

            United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)

According to their website, "UNESCO works to create the conditions for dialogue among civilizations, cultures and peoples, based upon respect for commonly shared values. It is through this dialogue that the world can achieve global visions of sustainable development encompassing observance of human rights, mutual respect and the alleviation of poverty" (UNESCO, n.d.).

            Job opportunities at UNESCO are divided into five categories, professional, young professional, general service, consultant and intern.  I personally looked at the job opportunities in the New York area.  In this specific area, there were over 160 job opportunities within the International Civil Service Commission.   UNESCO redirected me to this site. I chose three that I wanted to research.

            Human Resource Officer: Advanced degree in business administration, education, or social sciences.  At least five years experience in progressive human resource responsibilities is required.
            The other two positions are in Paris, France.  They consist of the following:
            Finance and Administrative Officer: This job requires a minimum of an advanced degree in business, finance or human resources.  In addition, seven years of experience is required to apply for this position.
            Ethics advisor: Requires a degree in law, business or social sciences.  In addition, the expectation is to have at least 10 years of experience to bring to the job.

United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF):

The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) has five main functions in the international community.  They focus on “child development and survival, basic education and gender equality, children and HIV/AIDS, child protection, and policy advocacy and partnerships” (UNICEF, 2012).   I chose this organization because I remember collecting money for them as a young child.  I never quite understood the meaning behind the money boxes until I grew older.  The organization provides so many necessary things for the international community.  I looked at the following jobs in the organization:
            Education Specialist (Youth Development) - In Malawi: This job requires an advanced degree in education, at least eight years experience working with young children.  It is preferable for the candidate speak fluent English and another UN language (UNICEF, 2012).

            Early Childhood Development Specialist- In Nairobi, Kenya: Requires an advanced degree in education and a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree and minimum of eight years experience.
           I chose this organization because of its work for so many different focus areas.  All of these areas are important to young children and their families around the world.

FHI 360 (formerly Family Health International and Academy for Educational Development):
 
These two organizations combined in “2011 to form FHI360”.  The organization works “towards a world in which all individuals and communities have the opportunity to reach their highest potential.  Furthermore, they are dedicated to improving lives through locally driven solutions for human development” (FHI360, 2013). 

The organization has over 113 job opportunities.  I chose a few of the eleven education job opportunities at this time:
            Technical Advisor- Doha, Qatar: Requires a master’s degree in education or educational psychology and at least 15 years of experience

            Research Associate II: GEAR Up- United States: Requires at least a master’s degree plus five to eight years of experience in education.
           I chose this organization because it was one that I was unfamiliar.  I feel that the resources and advocacy the agency is so important in the lives of young children. There is a strong need for these types of agencies in the international community.

References:

FHI 360. (2013). About us.  Retrieved from http://www.fhi360.org/about-us.

International Civil Service Commission.  (n.d.).  New York job opportunities.  Retrieved from https://jobs.unicsc.org/

United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF). (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.unicef.org/

United Nations Education, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). (2011). Retrieved from http://www.unesco.org/new/en/unesco/about-us/who-we-are/introducing-unesco/

 


 

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Christelle,

    I was also interested in the Childhood Development Specialist job offered by UNICEF in Kenya.

    I was really surprised with how many job opportunities I found internationally.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christelle,

    I love the way you explored international jobs. It was interesting to read the types of job descriptions of jobs in other countries. If I were in Kenya, I would definitely take up that job offer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christelle,

    I like the job in Kenya. I have a few parents in my class that are from Ghana, South Africa. I tried to find jobs their because they always have such good thing to say about their country. Unfortunately, I was unable to find one. Do you think it is because things are as good as they say? I think I would like being an Early Childhood Development Specialist in another country simply because of the diversity when it comes to raising children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christelle,

    It was good to see that we find some of the same jobs. Which job would best suit you if given the opportunity?

    ReplyDelete